Board Meeting Minutes

May 13, 2003

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by Stephen Souza on Tuesday, May 13, 2003.
This meeting was held at the home of Betty Weir.
Present (10 total) were:
President: Steve Souza,
Vice President: Barbara Slemmons
Treasurer: Betty Weir
Recording Secretary: G Richard Yamagata,
Board members: Bob Bockwinkel, Mary Lou Hernandez, Jim Pollock, Susan Peter-Thompson, Tony Gruska and Mike Syvanen

The Secretary arrived at 7:00 PM and the meeting was called to order.

Betty reported that there was a total of $900.25 brought in from the last club event and from dues for a total of $900.95. There is a total of $9,267.95 in the bank for the club.

There is a total of 38 couples and 33 singles for a total of 71 memberships.

It was discusssed that the Champagne Brunch event could be used to get membership enrollment up. There was a suggestion that we need to send out post cards for a reminder for people to pay their dues. There was another suggestion that we employ a phone bank to contact people to solicit renewals. The final suggestion was that we should use the "red dot" on the newsletters to remind people to send in their money before employing any of the other methods that have been discussed.

In regards to the newsletter, Stephen suggested that Adrian Candell edit and write the newsletter in addition to Scott.

The minutes for the April Board Meeting were submitted to the board. The minutes were moved for approval by Stephen Souza, seconded by Tony Gruska and passed unaminously with only one change noted -- correct the spelling of Betty Weir's name in the minutes as treasurer.

This date for this event was nailed down as Sunday, June 22nd, the Sunday a week after Father's Day. The event will go from 11AM to 2PM.

The program was suggested to toast Vonnie Crutchfield as the guest of honor. It was suggested that Cass Sylvia be invited to speak as the keynote speaker. This was turned into a motion by Stephen Souza and seconded by Mike Syvanen. It was passed with no opposition to the motion.

It was suggested that Mike Machado and Mike Thompson be invited to speak. It was suggested that they be asked to speak on issues surrounding "elder care," but this was voted down.

The photo-op announcement for this event will be a picture of Vonnie, Kara Walker and Bill Ritter.

Bob Bockwinkel will pick up the champagne and champagne glasses. Stephen Souza will bring the orange juice. Robin Souza has a list of the food that was brought last year and who brought it to make this year's planning easier.

The motion was made by Bob Bockwinkel and seconded by Tony Gruska that the club award a gift certificate for dinner for Vonnie and her friends at a restaurant of her choice. This motion was made with the idea that the club will cover a meal costing around $100. This motion passed with two notable abstentions. Stephen Souza volunteered to pick a bouquet of flowers for Vonnie and it was stated that Corky could be talked into making a portrait of Vonnie as an added keepsake of this event.

There is a mandatory meeting on the 24th of May for this event. The club is signed up to make tropical drinks and hula hoops gaming. The club is signed up to man the booth until 10:45 PM. The tropical drinks that will be sold will be virgin ice drinks: margaritas, pina coladas, and daiquiris. It was suggested that we may be able to put rum flavoring or extract in the drinks for a touch of realism.

It was stated that people from the Yolo County Democratic Central Committee will be helping with the labor. The booth will be called tentatively, the Democrat Tiki Room. It was suggested that we dress up donkeys in moo-moos. Mary Lou volunteered to do this.

Richard Yamagata volunteered to help with set-up at 11AM and take down at 10:45 PM. He will also supply one of the 4 blenders. Stephen will try to bring a surf board and Hawaiian music. It was suggested that we make a sign with the name and paint or get palm leaves.

The club has committed to taking Saturday, the 16th. We will have time slot sign-ups closer to the event.

This date for this event will be August 28th from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. More details will be worked out, closer to this event.

Stephen said that he still has to talk to Robin to find a date for this event. Tentatively, we are still talking the end of September.

The party at the Kaplan's is on the 5th of December. The 5th has been secured as the date for this event.

Barbara suggested that Newsletter process be started for the "red dot" campaign. Barbara also stated that we should ask UC Davis students to participate within the club. The board moved to encourage the students on campus to organize and participate. Barbara moved that the club invite students from campus to the next board meeting This motion was seconded by Barbara.

The next Democratic Club board meeting will be at the home of Betty Weir on Tuesday, June 10th.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 PM by Stephen.

These minutes are respectfully submitted by:

      G Richard Yamagata

This web page is authorized and paid for by the Davis Democratic Club (Copyright © 2003) and
updated by
G.Richard Yamagata. Last updated: June, 2003

Davis Virtual Market || Political Arena